According to the latest figures from the government’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS.gov) the average airfare for all of 2011 was the highest on record at $364. That’s an increase of more than 8 percent over all of 2010, and an increase of more than 5 percent over the previous record-breaking year of 2008. Airlines have pushed through three fare increases so far in 2012, according to FareCompare.com, and summer flights are averaging 8% higher than last year.
How can you make sure you get the best value on your air travel, and get your trip off to a great start:
1. Get your timing down. How far in advance you should book is not an exact science, but if you are traveling domestically airfares are usually their cheapest 6 weeks in advance. If you are traveling to Europe your cheapest airfares will be available about 22 weeks in advance; or if to the Caribbean check airfares about 12 weeks in advance.
2. Buy your air travel tickets on Tuesday evening. Usually in the early evening after 5:00 p.m. EST you will find overall better airfare pricing and flight options.
3. Travel off-season to popular destinations. If you are thinking about traveling to Europe consider going in August or early September to save on airfare. If you want to travel to the Caribbean consider traveling in early December, or just after mid-April.
4. Fly on less popular days. The cheapest day of the week to fly out from most US airports is Wednesday, closely followed by Tuesday and Saturday.
5. Become a member of the club. Sign up for your favorite airlines’ newsletter for time-sensitive offers. You can also follow your favorite airline on Twitter or Facebook.
Airlines have entire departments focused on pricing. So if you find this all too tough to keep up with –hire a travel professional who knows ALL the tricks and can save you time and BIG money.
I was featured on Fox 35’s Good Day sharing these tips. Click here to view the video. Enjoy!
As always, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences. I hope that by sharing my experiences you find strength, hope, and solutions when you make your commitment to live beyond your illness.
Carmen M. Perez, Travel Counselor
Your Florida Travel Expert and Gal Pal Bounce Back Getaways Specialist
“You dream it, I plan it, you deserve it.”
Contact Me Today: Telephone: (407) 900-9258 E-mail: Carmen@CmpTravelCounselor.com
For Travel Tips & Tricks “Like” Me on Facebook: GalPalBounceBackGetaways
“Follow” Me on Twitter: @CMPTravel
Visit My Website: www.GalPalBounceBackGetaways.com